Friday Wrap-Up: Post Pan EditionApr 6th, 2012 by dane
Let’s address the elephant in the room. You didn’t get an FWU last week and for that I’m sorry. I was putting in long days at the 2012 Pan Championships and I couldn’t summon the energy to compile a list of BJJ-related news after a 14-hour day at the UCI Bren Events Center. Let’s face it, the Pans was the BJJ news for that week, so I don’t feel completely negligent.
This brings me to my second point, the Pan Championships. Allow me to enumerate: four days, 12 mats, 3000+ competitors and 2000+ on the live stream – no big deal. All in a days work (EDITOR’S NOTE: I squealed like a 12-year old girl in the presence of J. Bieber). Be sure to catch my coverage on the Budo Facebook and Twitter. We have big plans for that.
- I don’t mean to start the Wrap-Up on a downer, but I’m starting the Wrap-Up on a downer. Terere is struggling again and his family is asking for help.
- So … Rafa Mendes. That’s all I have to write and awesomeness ensues. Seriously, a Unicorn just stepped into my office and brought me an Acai Bowl just for writing his name. Caio Terra (who brings plenty of awesome to bear himself, he won his division at the 2012 Pan Championship) recognizes his awesomeness in a slightly less oblique manner.
- The boys at Dstryr conducted an interview with the godfather of Jiu Jitsu, Rickson Gracie.
- It turns out us BJJ’ers are a randy bunch. This has been scientifically proven. There is no argument.
- I don’t know how I missed this, but the Jiu Jitsu Lab was featured on the science of skill, another great blog. Give ‘em some love.
- Kyra has been hanging out with Roger for her WPJJ debut. This is, of course, after helping save children from community violence. Ease off her, 2012 is still young.
- So, fortuna has something to say about getting the sub, “Cool out.” That’s not literally what he said, but you’ll get the idea.
- Storm Kimonos is racking up a whole lot of high profile fighters on its roster: Galvao, Renzo Gracie (actually a long time sponsoree), the UberMends and now Braulio. For real, check out the commercial.
- UPDATE: You don’t have enough Bill Cooper in your life. Let Gi Reviews help you with that.