Friday Wrap-Up: MAKE F#@KING WEIGHT EditionJan 20th, 2012 by dane
If one were to ask my opinion (and they are), the crappiest part of competing is making weight. Those who’ve had to make any sort of drastic cut will sing the song of “Weight Crash Suckitude” – complete with food cravings and bouts with lightheadedness. Well, Rumble (may I call you “Rumble” Mr. Johnson?) added a new verse: loss of feeling in one’s lower extremities. Perhaps the saddest part of this tale is the fact that he still missed weight by 12 pounds … and still got choked out.
Dulce diet for the win, apparently.
- The IBJJF European Opens competitor list is up, and it’s a who’s-who of BJJ.
- The Mendes Brothers are holding a seminar in San Diego, CA. If you haven’t gone, you want to. Trust me, I was at their last seminar at Robot Fight and Fitness in Santa Monica (a really, really cool facility – I was jealous of their toys) and everything they taught represented a paradigm shift in Jiu Jitsu. I am not overstating this.
- In BJJ, there is this very troublesome concept of high percentage versus low percentage. Well, the scientists over at the Jiu Jitsu Lab (they’re scientists to me – DON’T JUDGE) have waxed over this subject and it’s something to behold. So … you know, behold it.
- The boys at DYSTRYR have piqued us to this documentary of Rodolfo Vieira from Jits Magazine. Both are great sources and I suggest you follow them … and reread it here … for some reason. Why do I do these things to myself?
- The boys at the Gracie Academy have clued us into a newfound hero in the Jiu Jitsu community. All hail Paul Harris.
- I’m a huge fan of sweeps, and to the point that my submission game has suffered. I really should work on that, but instead I watched this video of 51 sweeps. You’re welcome.
Budo Videos Stuff
Let’s be real here, Budo peoples. There are only two things to even consider on Budo Videos. One, the 2011 World Jiu Jitsu Championship DVD and the Darcopedia. Go ahead and let the Beej know that we’d like this sooner than later.