Friday Wrap Up: Looking Longing Over the Pacific EditionApr 13th, 2012 by dane
I will be in the Republic of Korea by this time next week in order to fulfill my dreams of becoming a star Koreab Pop singer. Nevermind my limited Korean language ability and the fact that I’m a Hawaiin/Portuguese/German/Irish/English hybrid – I have dream. Luckily, I also have a contingency plan: Train a whole bunch of Jiu Jitsu with my team in Seoul (John Frankl BJJ – DISCLOSURE: I run their website and John is a close friend and BJJ mentor), eating Korean barbeque and not drinking heavily – at all. Ever. Expect posts and photo galleries from Seoul. I plan to hit several different BJJ schools (I’m shooting for six, possibly more as time permits). Also, I totally plan on Twitterifying and compiling FWU for the next two weeks. I know, I’m amazing at going on vacation.
- David at the Jiu Jitsu Lab addressed the fledgling identity crisis of the BJJ. What do you think of our Art’s progression? Is it to … you know, sporty?
- Speaking of addressing, the Gracie Brothers address the recent tragedy involved with a rear naked choke. Demolisher at Dstryr posted his thoughts as well as the Gracie Breakdown of what happened. I think it’s worth sharing all of the material.
- Check out Gracie Mag’s gallery of the 2012 Pan Championships. It’s Pan’tastic.
- The infamous Nate Diaz has earned his BJJ black belt from Ceasar Gracie … and no one is surprised. It’s no secret that his BJJ is legit.
- We’re big fans of BJJ competition here at Budo Videos, which may or may not be apparent. BJJ Hacks produced yet another superb video, this time featuring Rodolfo Vieria from CheckMat on why he competes.
- My favorite Shoyoroll shirt, which I wear all the time, claims that BJJ is the “greatest game of human chess”. This video explores that concept, and quite convincingly.
- Scramble did their best to kill me with anticipation, but they failed. I survived. I am unstoppable. The second half to the Grappling Dummy: Enson Enoue mini-documentary is out. It’s brilliantly produced and rocks a mind blowing soundtrack. It’s a must watch.
- The World Jiu Jitsu Expo is the event where – wait, no one cares. Nick Diaz and Braulio Estima are having a super fight at that event. We’re done here people.
- Closing out brackets. Crappy to watch but completely understandable from a teamsmanship perspective. That said, it could be inhibiting the sport.
- Two Jiu JItsu Lab articles in one FWU, one of which being a leg drag instructional? This is BJJ Explosion Day material ladies and gentleman.
- Dang! If you wear it, they (we) can choke you (them) with it.
- So, I’m super late on this but there may still be several of you out there scrambling for an antioxidant rich, low sodium, high protein breakfast sandwich. I present to you the Renergy Sandwich 2.0.
- The UberMendes won’t make the Abu Dhabi Pro Cup due to passport/Visa issue. Sadness ensues.
- Fabio Gurgel comments on Marcelo Garcia’s snowboarding injury and Cobrinha’s loss. The short version: All is well. Stuff happens.