Aikido is the "Art of Peace," a discipline that emphasizes harmony and the peaceful resolution of conflict. Far more than a self-defense technique, Aikido is a physical and spiritual discipline that aims at unifying the body and spirit with the natural forces of the universe, fostering compassion, wisdom, and fearlessness.
This book introduces the basic principles and practices of this popular martial art and includes:
• The biography of the Founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969), highlighting key events that led to the development of Aikido
• The fundamental training methods and techniques, illustrated by dozens of photographs
• The philosophical and spiritual dimensions of Aikido
• How to choose an instructor
• A glossary of important terms
• Suggestions for further reading