Friday Wrap-upDec 9th, 2011 by dane
BudoBlog readers, I present to you the Friday Wrap-Up: a weekly collection of BJJ articles, stories and information. This is my most recent attempt in building this space into an Interweb behemoth. For reference, imagine that the Juggernaut and Jeff Monson had a 22 year-old son that was conceived in a test tube, fed nothing but Acai and Churrasco and enrolled it in kids BJJ classes at the age of three. In the off chance that such a child exists and I got any of the previous information wrong, please A) don’t mention this fact to them or B) apologize on my behalf. I hereby authorize you to beg and/or plead for mercy from him/her for me.
- Claudio Calasans Jr. (Atos) came up big at the 2011 IBJJF European Open Championships, but lost the absolute finals to Sérgio Moraes (Alliance). He’s promised that he isn’t seeking revenge and cites numerous practical reasons why this is the case. This is unfortunate. I, for one, was hoping for a tied-wrist rematch, a la MJ’s Thriller.
- The bro’s over at DYSTRYR SG have published a conversation between Sambo and BJJ. That’s right, you’ve read that correctly: all of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and all of Sambo had a conversation via two instructors. I could write a point-by-point, but my take away is that BJJ is still – in fact – Sambo’s boo.
- GSP was recently (edited, thanks Skamadan!) awarded the first degree on his black belt, which is fortunate since he is facing knee surgery. I’ve been writing and deleting jokes about GSP not going to the decision with his ACL, but I’ve decided doing so would be in poor taste.
- Vacaville Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Classic: Pre-registration closed today at 11:59 a.m. (some of you missed it) and is being held tomorrow.
- Girls in Gis: Ladies in Texas (who don’t train Jiu Jitsu), you are out of excuses. These classes are free, with other women and tailored for you. Also, the next event is on Dec. 14, but that’s only passingly related.
- All of you will be training this Saturday. All. Of. You.
- The ADCC preorder is up, and it’s ridiculously cheap. There is more than 20 hours of footage, live commentary by the usual Budo crew, multiple camera angles per match and Braulio Estima wins his match so hard he begins spinning uncontrollably. Don’t believe me? Watch his episode of Rolled Up and c’mon back and apologize. Don’t worry, I’ll wait.
- The Darceopedia preorder is up. You want this. That is all.
- The Budo shows are taking a break until 2012, which is actually only a month away. In the meanwhile, you can do what I do. Just watch the Mendes Brothers highlight over and over.
- Free UPS ground shipping this weekend. To answer your question: Yes, Grandma needs a new gi. Buy her two.